Volunteer and Visitor Stories

The Manitoba Agricultural Museum is interested in finding out about our volunteers and visitors.  Do you have a story to share with us about your museum experience?  We are looking for:
Why you became involved in the Museum.
Why you stay involved with the Museum.
The value you see in the Museum.
What you do at the Museum.
What would you tell the public about the
Museum?
Please use the form below to share your story with other website visitors so they too can see why it’s worth the trip to the Manitoba Agricultural Museum!
Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Visitor Stories. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Volunteer and Visitor Stories

1. Bill Fleury says:

I have been coming to the museum every summer since I was born. It’s been a family affair year after year- with my great uncle, cousins, father, brother, and now the next generation of all of our families. In fact, the only time of year that I see much of my extended family is during the reunion each July. I find the museum is a great family friendly place to visit. Not only is it educational, but it’s alot of fun! I love seeing the amazement in my childrens eyes when they see a big tractor drive by, or their astonishment at how small the houses were for such large families to live in.

I operate a 1916 12-25 Case tractor owned by the museum during the reunion. As well, last spring shortly after attending the annual general meeting, I joined the marketing committee. I wanted to become more heavily involved in museum activities as the museum has brought so much enjoyment to myself and my family that I would like to play a part in ensuring it is here for future generations to enjoy, and to spread the word so that as many people as possible can come see what helped to build this country into what it is today. Coming from an agricultural background, the museum plays an important part in keeping my heritage and the heritage of many Manitobans alive.

If I have one thing that I could tell the public, it would be to come on out and see for yourself. The museum is a magical place that is guaranteed to make memories you and your family will cherish for a lifetime.

2. Korey lee says:

I totally agree with the first post. well i have also been coming to austin ever since i was born grandpa got me involved heavy into it when he joined me up with brent arm strong they both taught me everything about these old tractors and sparked my interest even more. so what i do at austin well that is a list lol well i do the rodeo security with the roys every year every night keeping everyone safe. I used to run the fuel truck with john roy until he passed away. just last year they asked me if i would like to run the belt tractor try and help out the guys who just couldnt get it going. I have adopted two tractors also ford major and a mini molene also trying for a third one this year the yard john deere diesel. and im only twenty two years old so i hate some time before i think about passing it down lol. if i could tell the public i would say come down if you would like to get out and see how things were back in the day you will enjoy your self tons to see and hear lol.

3. Colin Farquhar says:

Although we’re relative newcomers to the museum (this year marks the 3rd Reunion that my wife & I have attended), summer just wouldn’t be complete now without our trip to Austin! The “Friendly Manitoba” effect is in full swing at the Manitoba Agricultural Museum…

I’ve been working on steam engines since the age of 9 (1992) and always heard tales of the big museum in Austin, even when growing up out here in BC. Coming to MB to visit my wife’s family provided the perfect excuse to come to the Museum, and we haven’t looked back since! When I first showed up saying “Hi-I’m from BC, and I’m a steam engine guy”, the crew wasted no time in not only getting me working on an engine, but inviting me into their circle of friends-by the time my wife showed up 3 days later it seemed like I’d been friends with these guys for ages.

Why do I think the museum is relevant? In ‘real life’ I’m a musician and audio engineer who works for a very large music store in Canada. Coming to the Museum allows us to escape from the insanity of modern, plugged-in, high speed life-while also keeping us grounded in the history of where our country came from. There’s a lot to be said for the calming, rhythmic chug of a steamer when work is stressing you out :)

We work on the Museum’s 1915 50HP Case steam traction engine during the Reunion along with other volunteers, so you’ll see us in the daily “Humans VS Steam Tug-o-War”, the slow races, and belted up to the dyno & shingle mill. Almost 20 years after I started working on these engines, I’m now training my wife on how to safely maintain & operate a steam traction engine!

If you’re reading this, and wondering “why would I bother driving out to visit?”-stop wondering. Some shows I’ve been too are boring displays of rows of shining old tractors, that don’t do anything or go anywhere. If you come to the Reunion, you’ll see activities happening all over the grounds, all day! If you have questions about an item, or want a closer photo, talk to the volunteer operating the machinery-we’re always happy to answer any questions. Friends & relatives that we’ve dragged out over past years have been universally blown away by the depth & scope of the displays, artifacts, and activities offered.

4. Lorene Hodkinson says:

We used to go to the Austin Rodeo when our children were younger, and we all loved it. We camped out there once and it was great as we were able to go to the barn dance at night and then rest up for the next day. The rodeo was our favorite as it felt like you were part of the action. There was no holding back for the cowboys/cowgirls. The rodeo clowns came very close to being injured. It would take your breath away. One time a bull was so angry it almost came through the fence by where we were sitting. Our children would love to sit on all the tractors, get their picture taken, go eat some corn on the cob, play bingo, check out all the buidings that showed earlier times, they found it facinating. I found the whole fair very family friendly. I do want to take my children back again and see their view of it now that they are older. We took my cousin there one year and she loved it and still talks about it today, 15 years later. I would recommend everyone should see it at least once in their lifetime. Good quality fun guaranteed, and educational.

5. Jennifer McDougall says:

I first got involved in the museum 4 yrs ago. A friend of mine is 77 and has been going forever. So I was asked to do the pettng zoo and volunteered my time and energy the entire event days. sorry to say with diff’t personal things in my life I am not doing the petting zoo in 2011, but hope to do it in 2012. Things on my home base are growing and this year. I will go as a visitor, maybe help out the new petting zoo volunteers. I have been training her at other events. Plus enjoy the rodeo, food, ladies events. Me time this year.
    Its great, people, staff , exhibits all great.

Took my 1902 doctor buggy and pit pony in 2010, this year i think I will pass on that, but i know volunteers that i re meet every year and looking forward to seeing them again. I want to watch the ladies shows, rodeo, and last year I met some wonderful good looking men, this year i am single to bring it on. lol cowboys here i am, maybe i will be reintroduced to folks i met last year. if not, rodeo is still good, so is the food, activities.

6. Amber Farrell says:

Hi there! I have been going to the Austin’s Thresherman’s Reunion and Museum since I was a little girl. ( I was a 1 year old and this was in 2001) this will be my 11th year going. I got involved in the museum because my family goes there every year.
    I am a proud volunteer. I have been working in the Petting Zoo, the Dining Hall, Bingo,Blacksmith shop,50/50 tickets, and the Raffle Tickets.Guess what my favorite place to work in is? The Dining Hall. Guess why?…FOOD!
    There are alot of buildings to go through at the Museum to see how it was in the past.
    Austin Manitoba is also a place that you can meet new friends,old friends and you can also gather with family to enjoy what the museum has to offer!
    Hope I see you this year on the 26th to 29th of July at the Austin’s Thresherman’s Reunion!

7. Dustin Barbour says:

My name is Dustin Barbour. Back in 2005 I drove my 1966 110 John Deere lawn tractor to this museum to raise money for “The Children’s Wish Foundation”. I am writing this letter from the heart to tell you how much this museum means to me. I have been coming here for the 18 years. I wait for the show every year just like my mini Dauphin fest. I worry about not enough advertising and getting the word out to tell people how great this show really is. I have some good ideas that could be useful in promoting and I will do as much as I can. I have a disability but will always do what I can. There’s is nothing better than sitting in the hot sun working on a tractor. It is history, and keeping things alive. I hope more people get interested and come out every year. The Rumly Show brought alot of people and I thought it turned the crowds around. Thank you to all the volunteers and people who made the show a success ! A big thank you to Aaron LeFlower and Elliot Sims. Let’s draw a new generation.
    From the bottom of my heart
    Your friend always